Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Pressure of Being Hillary Clinton

It's hard being Hillary Clinton.

No, we're not talking about having to deal with Bubba's wandering eye. We all know that the sexual/emotional component of the Clinton marriage died a long, long time ago. No, the hard thing about being Hillary Clinton is that you have a reputation to live up to.

I want to ask you a question. Think long and hard before you answer:

Can you conceive of even the possibility of Hillary Clinton losing?

Despite what I said the other day about her not getting the nomination (and intellectually I still believe this), at an emotional level I can't imagine what a Clinton defeat would look like. Bubba won so regularly, so consistently, and with such ease that it's hard to picture a Clinton defeat. Yes, he lost a governor's race a long time ago, but that's outside the national memory.

I don't know. This may not make much sense. Still, I just can't picture what a Hillary Clinton defeat will look like. That is both her strength and her weakness: she only gets one shot. After she loses, the mystique is broken and can't be re-created.

No comments:

Post a Comment