Monday, February 26, 2007

Popery

Magic, Latin and Prayer: Part I

In the above post on The Colossus (It's not in your daily reading list? Then you're a moron.) you will find everything I love about the traditional Roman Catholic church as a force for stability, order and conservatism. You'll also find everything I hate about the Roman Catholic church as a man-made institution that usurped the natural union between the believer and Christ in favor of a quasi-political kingdom based on power and superstition.

Harsh words. Please understand me well when I say that I honor the millenium and a half of Catholic scholarship that form the basis of Christendom. I honor them and I simultaneously reject them as little better than the Law which could not save us.

As a Christian, as a Protestant, as a Baptist, as a Southern Baptist, I believe in the priesthood of the believer. I believe that we are privileged to approach the throne of God without the need of a priest to stand between us and Him. I believe that the trappings of the Mass... Holy water, incense, transubstantiation... Are distractions from the true source of our justification: faith in the atoning death and triumphant resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It is this faith and this faith alone that saves. It is Christ's blood and not the sanction of Pope, priest or church which defines our relationship with the Creator God.

My intent is not to question or demean the author's newly rediscovered faith. If my words offend then I apologize for the offense. I honor his freedom to worship as he chooses, I accept him as a brother in Christ and believe that whatever trappings he may place around his faith, whatever sacraments he may receive and in whatever form, the God who created us both will recognize and accept the faith in his heart however it is expressed.

1 comment:

  1. No offense taken.

    It is ultimately not about God; it is about what moves this individual believer, who is about as flawed a fellow as you will ever meet -- and the Latin mass is an oddity, even among Catholics these days. God needs no Latin nor incense; the Latin and the incense are for the flawed human being who associates, on a primitive level, these things with God. It is probably more a case of me rediscovering something from my childhood, which puts me in mind of the days when I had an innocent faith.

    He works in mysterious ways; for me it is the memory of my mother's church, circa 1970.

    ReplyDelete