Sunday, April 01, 2007

Super Size This

Super Size Me

I put off watching this movie for a long time because I knew that all it would do is make me angry. When I finally got around to seeing it today (MSNBC ran it a night or two ago), I wasn't disappointed.

I'm sure you know the premise... Documentary filmmaker eats nothing but McDonalds food for a month and discovers, will wonders never cease, that it isn't what you'd call good for you. Big shocker, huh?

Along the way he makes the typical elitist, Coastal sort of comments you might expect about how people are basically too stupid to choose for themselves much less their own children. And, of course, Big Hamburger is out to make dirty money and if that ends up killing you in the process well then so be it.

My problem with this Michael Moore-ish (Boorish too, by the way) style of "documentary" film making is that it is premised on the idea of making fun of people from flyover country, all the while acting as though they need to be saved from themselves. Fundamentally, people like Moore and, in this case, Morgan Spurlock, seem to think that you're too stupid to think for yourself. Combine that with a healthy dose of anti-capitalist dogma and there you are.

And, for the record, if I want to buy a double Big Gulp I damn well will and you can take your opinion and drop it in the fryer.

2 comments:

  1. You think this about the movie... what did you think about the show?! It was interesting... but you could tell in the first 30 seconds what they were about to say, and what Spurlock wanted to make you think.

    I'll never forget the first episode, where he and his girlfriend tried to live on minimum wage for 30 days. Long story short... it's not easy to live that way, and keep a healthy vegan menu. The "Kashi Go-Lean" tended to push them over budget.

    Total hack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never watched the TV show. To be honest, I didn't even know he had done one. I'm not surprised by what you say though. Today's high-profile "documentary" film makers are really more like propagandists than anything else. They are making a political or social point and they skew everything to make that point.

    ReplyDelete