Sunday, July 08, 2007

Talking Through My Hat

Once more, I tread on dangerous ground and take a position on something about which I know little nothing. In this case, it's the Latin Mass.

Yes, friends, the Latin Mass. This Southern Baptist is going to speak on the Latin Mass. Quite frankly, my atin-lay ops-stay at-a ee-thay ig-pay ariety-vay. Still, as a traditionalist, I applaud Pope Benedict's decision to promote the Latin Mass in those instances where parishioners want it. Now, from a theological perspective I think it's a load of hooey. I don't believe in the mysteries of the Mass, I don't believe in anything which (in my opinion) substitutes pageantry and mysticism for a genuine relationship with Jesus Christ. Still, as I've said on many occasions, I am very much a traditionalist. I like my Jews circumcised, my Catholics Latin, my Baptists stiff-collared and my Mormons in full Osmond, white bread mode.

Another thing I will say on this is that Jews have absolutely nothing to say about this. Jews don't get to decide what goes on inside a Catholic Church any more than I get to pick out who carries the Torah scrolls. Yes, I know that there are prayers within the Latin mass which call for the conversion of Jews. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. With all genuine respect for members of The Tribe, Christians (both Catholic and Protestant) think you missed the boat. From our perspective, it is entirely correct to pray for your salvation and for that of all others. You're just going to have to deal with it. If you'd like to pray for us to reject the blasphemous pretender then by all means do so. One faith does not get to set doctrine for another. It's just as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment