Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Today We Celebrate Our Independence Day

We're going to give you full, wall-to-wall coverage of Independence Day today. Well, we will if we're not sick on poorly cured hot dogs, that is.

We're going to begin with a classic Presidential address in celebration of this day:



Yeah, I know. He wasn't really President and it's a very cheesy movie. Right on both counts. Still, the speech gives me goosebumps. I remember actually seeing this one in the theater (on Independence Day no less) and the crowd actually whooped after the speech. Yeah, it's got a little bit of internationalist clap-trap in it, but it still works.

It's also an artifact of what I like to call "The Bill Pullman" era of our history: that brief period when Bill Pullman was in every good movie. That era, of course, ended with what I call "The Lake Placid Event."

No comments:

Post a Comment