Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Maybe He Just Needed Some TP

Sen. Larry Craig's Career Stalls

Stalls... Get it? Stalls???

Okay, so maybe it isn't so easy to make a funny about gay sex in a bathroom. Who knew?

I just finished reading the police report and plea agreement in his case over at The Smoking Gun. Clearly, Larry was up to no good. I mean, most guys I know stare straight ahead in the bathroom and would sooner get something caught in their zipper than play a little footsie under the stall.

That being said, I'm not so sure that this is the sort of conduct the police should be criminalizing. I mean, as solicitation goes it's a fairly vague form, don't you think? We're not talking about a guy offering money for sex in a restroom at a public park. I'm all for prosecuting that. I'm all for prosecuting people for actually having sex in public restrooms. I'm all for police passing through public restrooms every now and again to discourage this sort of behavior. I just don't know that I think Craig's conduct up to the point where he was taken into custody necessarily warrants an arrest. While it clearly wasn't innocuous, a lot of it could be innocuous.

At any rate, I won't be losing a lot of sleep over Senator Craig personally. I'll forgive a lot of things if you have a solid conservative voting record but buggery in the bathroom ain't one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment