Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ignorance Is Bliss

I think I've said something like this before, but...

I got up this morning and turned on the Tivo to watch Today. You know, my usual Saturday routine. A couple of hours at the Temple of Amy (don't like the blouse, Miss Amy, but the heels... oh the heels...). We start off with the top of the news, of course, which is all about the economy.

Now, here's the thing. I'm not saying a lot of people aren't feeling the pain right now. I know they are. If you're not one of them, though, would you really know that we were having this terrible, nightmarish, worst since the 1930s recession if the talking heads didn't tell you that?

And, for that matter, would you care? Yeah, if your brother in law gets laid off you feel bad for him, but unless you lose your job, do you really care? Care in the sense of worry and fear and panic? Probably not.

Now, I'm not saying that you're better off not knowing what is going on. Well... Yeah, actually that is what I'm saying. News that you can actually act on is useful, news that you can't do anything about is just voyeurism. But you can do something, you tell me! You can save instead of spending. True. And you should have been doing that whether we were on the edge of soup kitchens or not. I do.

I don't know. I just think that to some extent the constant drumbeat if economic pessimism is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment