Thursday, January 22, 2009

Regrets, I've Had a Few

A small Biden moment, a cool Obama reaction - Yahoo! News

You know, we may have to come up with a tag for this because I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of them. Biden gaffes? Something like that.

Actually, I don't even think this one was a gaffe, but The Dear Leader sure seemed to think so. In a nutshell... Plugs was getting ready to swear in the senior staff. He made a little quip about how Chief Justice Roberts flubbed the oath for Obama. Whatever else we may say about Joe Biden, and there's a lot to say, he honestly seems to be fairly natural, fairly genuine, fairly "real." Now, that may not always be a good thing because the "real" Joe Biden is sometimes embarrassing. Still, in a world filled with posturing politicians, it's kind of refreshing.

Apparently, however, Obama was not refreshed... Or even amused. He didn't even crack a smile.

I have a feeling that if he had it to do over, The Dear Leader would not have selected Joe Biden. That doesn't mean he would have gone with Hillary because I personally think that was a non-starter from day one. Who would have been the alternative to Joe? Who knows? Who cares? The point is that I don't think there are many people who honestly think that Joe Biden added much to the ticket from an electoral standpoint. Maybe the experience argument, but I don't think Obama ever really believed that this was an experience election. He was right about that. If it were, he would have lost - with or without Biden.

I also think, and I believe I've said this before, that Joe Biden is going to end up a very disappointed, very frustrated man. He probably believes that Obama is going to come to him for his counsel, his experience. I don't think that's going to happen. In fact, Biden is going to be very lucky if he can avoid being publicly humiliated by Obama.

It seems to me that there is more than a healthy level of ego in Barack Obama. That's true of most politicians, but I think it's especially true of Obama. I get the sense that he may feel like he doesn't need counsel, doesn't need anyone else. Oh, he may need technical advice on some particular subject, but I don't get the sense that he feels like he needs wisdom from anyone else. It's sort of the difference between your relationship with a plumber and your relationship with your dad (hopefully you get where I'm going with that metaphor).

Anyway, it's going to be a long 4 years for Joe Biden.

No comments:

Post a Comment