Monday, March 09, 2009

Scripts? We Don't Need No Stinking Scripts!

Is NBC Nightly News Going to One Hour? - mediabistro.com: TVNewser

So NBC is moving Leno to 10pm thereby cutting out an hour of scripted television five nights each week. Meanwhile, they're talking about expanding Nightly News to an hour.

More brilliance from Jeff Zucker, I'm assuming.

Awhile back we (sort of) joked that with them tacking hours onto the back of Today in the morning and moving late night earlier and earlier that in a few years the two would meet in the middle sometime around 5 o'clock.

Now, as I said, we were (sort of) joking about that, but there's a grain of truth to it. Networks have discovered how profitable "reality" tv is. NBC's non-reality lineup is so much in the shitter that they really have very little to lose. I mean, isn't news the original "reality" programming? Talk/variety is reality of a sort. I don't think it's creative genius from Jeff Zucker (who, in case you haven't figured it out, I don't think much of). Rather, I think it's the triumph of the bean counters. I think it's entirely possible that you could see a day when one of the networks, presumably NBC, programs almost no original scripted drama or comedy. I think we're damn close to being there now. The transitional stage will be sharing programs between NBC and some of its cable outlets and they've already dipped their toe into that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment