Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dittos, Sarah!

Just got done listening to Rush's interview with Sarah Palin...

I haven't listened to any other interviews with her (Oprah, Baba Wawa) and I don't really plan to. I'm not usually interested in politician or booktour interviews. Anyway, I thought she did well but not great. I think those of us who love Sarah will continue to love her and those who loath her will continue to do so.
Now listening to a very emotional female caller following up on the interview. Much as I love Sarah, I have my doubts about how viable she might be in a primary campaign. That being said, I think it is an enormous mistake to underestimate the extent to which the emotional attachment of people like that caller could prove to be a powerful force for Palin.

For what little it's worth right now, let me give you a one or two sentence handicap on how I see the 2012 Republican race right now:

Huckabee - Hate him. Hate him, hate him, hate him. I think he's a fraud, I think he's a huckster and I think (or hope at least) that his act (and I use that word intentionally) will wear thin quickly. I really think his appeal is limited to the Christian conservative base.

Romney - Maybe just a little too slick? Has a little bit of the major market local news anchor feel to him. Clearly the favorite of the econo-cons and the elite portions of the Conservative movement. Much of the hardcore Christian conservative movement is always going to have a real problem with him solely from the religious angle.

Pawlenty - Going to be a favorite among a lot of the same people who support Romney.  Benefits from not having to carry some of the flip-flopper baggage Romney has.  Also doesn't have to carry the universal health care burden that Mitt has from the experiment in Massachusetts (and that is going to hang on Mitt like a millstone with a lot of Republican primary voters.

Palin - Strong with the Christian right.  Good with the Tea Party crowd.  Biggest weakness continues to be a sense that she isn't quite ready for prime time.  That's a two-edged sword though because what strikes some folks as a lack of polish and intellectual preparation/ability comes across to many of the rest of us as genuineness.

No comments:

Post a Comment