Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Why Bother?

I'm sitting in a hospital right now. At a moment like this a normal person contemplates the fragility of human life or possibly the wonders of modern medicine.

I'm thinking about Trapper John, M.D.

Now, I was pretty young when this show originally aired so my memory may be faulty, but was there any reason at all for them to use the name of a character from MASH? I mean it was a different actor playing the role of course, but beyond that is the fact that I don't really remember the character being portrayed with any continuity at all. Obviously one would have expected there to have been some character growth and development over the course of 20-some years, but there wasn't any continuing thread of similarity at all.

Am I remembering this incorrectly? Was the discontinuity explained by some detail in the updated character's backstory?

If not, was this some network exec's asinine idea that the American viewer is a moron? All we have to do is slap the name of a beloved character from a popular sitcom on our new medical show and the people will eat it up!

Do network executives really think we are that stupid? Sorry... Dumb question.

Heck of a job, Zuckie!

No comments:

Post a Comment