Thursday, March 18, 2010

Get A Grip

Black people must leave, NJ Walmart announcer says - Yahoo! News

Nutshell: Someone got on the PA at a New Jersey Walmart and said, and I quote, "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."

A few minutes later a manager got on the PA and apologized for whoever made the comment.

Shoppers shook their heads, some of them laughed about how stupid people can be, and then went back to buying their Walmart brand cheese.

Well, not exactly. Instead, a national furor erupted. Customers aired their complaints, an investigation was started, etc. etc. etc.

Quoting again, this time a Walmart customer, "I depended on Walmart for all my needs, because the store has pretty much everything you could want, but until this issue is addressed in a way I'm comfortable with, I can't walk through those doors again."

My response... Don't let the door hit you in the ass, lady. Of course, I'm not a corporate flack so I'm free to say that sort of thing.

It was an idiot, almost certainly not an employee, who managed to get on the PA and say something stupid. The store quite rightly apologized. Other than maybe making sure idiots can't get on the PA again (next time they might shout Fire!), that should settle the matter.

We don't really need the AP doing stories about it. We don't need Big Al outside with a megaphone showing us some Walmart greeter with dog shit smeared on her. We just need to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment