Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Saying It Better Than I Could

One of my core beliefs about the Left is that their fundamental flaw is holding to the idea that we have it within our power to make of this world a paradise. Utopian dreaming of this sort always, always ends in blood.

I read tonight a quote from Adam Michnik, a Polish dissident, that sums it up far more eloquently than I could:
"And my obsession has been that we should have a revolution that does not resemble the French or Russian, but rather the American, in the sense that it be for something, not against something. A revolution for a constitution, not a paradise. An anti-utopian revolution. Because utopias lead to the guillotine and the gulag."
If you give to the State the power to create the world of your dreams you give them the power to bring your nightmares to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment