Sunday, May 30, 2010

If It's Sunday, It's... Oh, Nevermind

I usually spend my Sundays worshiping the great Jehovah so I don't get to watch the Sunday morning news programs. I tried taping them for awhile but, surprisingly enough, the Bloglets have surprisingly little patience for such things. Anyhoo, we're sticking it in the eye of the Almighty today so I got to watch Meet the Press for the first time in a long time. First time since Tim Russert's passing, I think.

I think the new host, David Gregory did a reasonably good job. He was tougher with the fellow from BP than he was with Carol Browner from the administration. Still, he certainly didn't give her a pass. He tried to pin her down each time she tried to wiggle around with her answers about who is in charge of the containment operation.

My only major criticism of Gregory would be the underlying premise of his questions of Browner. His entire line of questioning seemed focused on whether the government is really running the show or not. He didn't really question the administration for its vilification of BP. In other words, he didn't question whether it is appropriate for a cabinet secretary to talk about having the government's "boot on the neck" of a private company that seems to be doing everything it can, he only questioned whether it's just talk or if the government is actually doing something about that.

Anyway, I don't know that I miss a lot by not watching these shows. I used to watch them religiously. All they really are is politicians and/or corporate flacks trying to score points or do damage control. And what passed for a political roundtable on Meet the Press this AM was a joke. David Brooks vs. E.J. Dionne? If that's the mainstream media's idea of the political spectrum the you know everything you need to know about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment