Sunday, May 30, 2010

Maybe I'm Weird

I know... Maybe?

I'm getting kind of sick of watching BP executives coming on TV and getting browbeaten by journalists who have never really made anything in their entire lives. I'm not minimizing the value of journalism. Nor am I saying that the only careers that count are ones that produce a physical product. Still, journalists are like attorneys and they work in words. Politicians are that way too for the most part. I think they reach a point where in a sense they confuse talking about things with actually doing them.

Politicans are lauded when they talk about curing cancer or creating jobs or whatever it might be. Just the act of speaking about it gets them credit and acclaim. People who work for oil companies... Or people who make widgets for that matter... Have to actually accomplish things. They actually have to turn their words into a physical product.

I'm not sure if I have discussed the current BP oil spill previously but, for what it's worth, here's my take on it... An accident happened. BP clearly did not want this to happen but it did. Once everything is done there needs to be a thorough investigation. If process changes need to be made then so be it. Similarly, if there was negligence then the responsible parties should be identified and held accountable. That should take place AFTER the issue is resolved. In the meantime, we are reliant on the expertise and abilities of BP. Instead of talking about having our "boot on their neck" we should be encouraging innovative and original thinking. The federal government should not be in the business of vilifying a corporation.

No comments:

Post a Comment